Wednesday, July 1, 2009

travel plans

Well, I've bought my train tickets to and from Kracow (after standing in various lines and being told to find random, out-of-the-way ticket counters, not to mention paying an extra five hryvnia for the privilege of buying a ticket in the "special" waiting room, which was the only place I could by the ticket), and I've booked my hostel (Mom, it's Hostel Yellow, since I know you'll want to Google it), being pleased to notice the Sunday night discount which meant that I'm only paying about $22.50 for two night's stay (my train tickets cost roughly 5x that, which means that for once transport is costing me more than lodging, which is a switch). And that was a horribly long run-on sentence.

But seriously, I'm excited about the opportunity to go to Kracow (Krakow? Crakow? Cracow?). I've heard a lot of good things about it, and getting to see a new country fairly inexpensively is always something I'm up for, not to mention getting to hang out with Jes. She has a friend there from Wales, and the three of us are planning a day trip to some nearby city on Saturday. Sunday, I plan to wander Kracow itself and see Wawel Castle, and on Monday, I'm planning to go to Auschwitz-Birkenau, because I think it's going to be worthwhile for me to see, albeit sobering.

~*~

Other facts of random interest:

*It's really warm here, warmer than I'd like, but at least the daily rain seems to have stopped.
*I think our language class is going to watch Everything is Illuminated on Friday. It's in English and Russian, but Natalia told us we'd be talking about it in Ukrainian.
*Hopefully I'm getting a few more interviews set up for next week.
*Really, my brain is too much Kracow-oriented to write about anything else. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! I'm a fellow PC'er leaving to Ukraine in September as a TEFL volunteer and I enjoy your blog posts. When I visited Central Europe in summer 2007, Krakow was def my favorite place. Don't forget to visit the castle/church on top of the huge hill. You might happen to stumble upon a Polish wedding! And although visiting the Auschwitz may be hard, it's something I believe everyone should see with their own eyes.