Tuesday, July 21, 2009

B1 (!) (?)

Official result of my Ukrainian exam: B1, which made about much sense to me as it probably does for all of you, so I'll explain.

I got everything right on the reading and listening portions of the test (!), missed 4 out of 50 questions on the grammar portion, and my writing wasn't bad, except that I have problems spelling, as there are several letters that sound the same to me, plus a few grammar mistakes.

Apparently, there are levels A1-A2-B1-B2-C1-C2 available, with A1 the lowest and C2 the highest, except that you basically need to be a native Ukrainian to reach anything at the C levels. B1 is, according to my teacher, quite high for a foreigner and high enough to enter a university here or apply for work. When I asked her how to translate it into terms that would make sense on my resume, she told me that my reading is at an advanced level and my writing's at an intermediate level. I was already at an advanced level of speaking before this summer, so things look good all round.

Now, to just figure out what to do with this accomplishment! (Oh, yeah...write a thesis and transcribe my interviews...)

~*~

The rest of my time in L'viv is likely to go as follows: a) try and ship some English textbooks back for my thesis, b) hang out with Max, a PhD student at MSU who's from L'viv and just got into town this weekend, c) pack, d) closing ceremony for the program tomorrow morning, and e) anything under a) and c) that hasn't gotten done by that point.

No comments: