Sunday, July 12, 2009

red high heels

Well, I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, and today I finally succumbed...and bought a pair of red high heels. They are neither stilettos nor bright red; they're a muted, darkish red with golden floral designs and moderately thick (although not clunky), not overly tall heels. They're utterly adorable, and the price was quite reasonable.

Ukraine has affected the way I think about fashion. Viktor, one of the professors here, says that the reason that women's fashions here are a bit over-the-top is because for the first time in years, people have a larger selection of goods available, and therefore they want the fanciest things possible. I think that's quite possibly true, and a lot of the clothes here are too ornate/skimpy/something for me to want to wear or look at all good while wearing. But I love the scarves here and am beginning to warm up to the shoes (mostly because flats are now available, even if I did end up buying heels), and in general I think that living in Europe has given me a bit of a fashion sense, at least more than I had a few years ago. (You're all welcome to laugh at this.)

No comments: