Saturday, July 18, 2009

(grown-up) little brothers

This week has contained two particulary amusing exchanges via text message with my "little brothers" here in Ukraine.

The first one was with Vitaly Yukhymets, who finished up his month-long course in video journalism this week. He had an exam on Thursday, and so, like a good big sister, I texted him around 8 pm that night to ask how he did.

At 3:30 Friday morning, my phone went off, letting me know I'd gotten a text (I don't keep it on silent at night because it's also my alarm clock). I looked and Vitaly had answered, "I got a 5!", which is the best grade you can get here. I was very happy for him, but found the timing a bit odd.

Went back to sleep and, around 7:30, woke up and replied, "That's great...why did you text me at 3:30 instead of sleeping?" The response was "I don't know, I couldn't sleep because I was so excited."

Which still begs the question...why wait until that late/early to reply to my text? :)

~*~

My other text message incident comes from Sasha Malko, who was taking an English exam today to enter a MA program and texted me a sentence in Ukrainian, requesting me to translate it for him. Yeah, right!

1 comment:

Tif said...

1.Congrats to Vitaly! 2.Did you REALLY think Sasha would not use ALL available resources? 3. and the quote of the day (in response to my farmers tanned calves as we were walking up from the dock in front of his parents), Will: "If you had taken off your pants when I told you, there wouldn't have been a problem...." His dad (from the porch): "Now son, I didn't raise you to go around tellin women to take their pants off..."