Tuesday, July 7, 2009

krakow wrap-up

Final thoughts on Krakow:

~I loved it. And as much as I enjoy being in Ukraine, it was a great break for me, a chance to get away, see somewhere different, and have a change of both pace and scenery.
~I hadn't realized that there is a distinct difference between being post-Soviet and merely post-Communist. Ukraine is the former, Poland is the latter.
~Ice cream in Krakow...yum!
~One of my favorite things to do there was take a book and sit on a bench in the Planty.
~Amber is more gorgeous than I ever realized.
~I want to go back some day.
~I could easily have stayed a day or two more this time, if logistics had permitted.

The trip home left a bit to be desired...I wasn't feeling well, probably because of something I'd eaten, and this time, rather than stamp my passport in my compartment, the border guards took it and didn't bring it back for 20 minutes, which I hadn't expected and was moderately concerned about. But I made it back to L'viv just fine and found out that taxi drivers try to rip you off here when you show up needing a taxi at the train station at 6 a.m. Talked it down to a somewhat normal fare. Then home, another hour of sleep, and I was off to class!

No comments: