Thursday, January 31, 2008

brrr

It's cold here in Michigan.

The job search continues, with various amusing suggestions from friends and acquaintances--everything from teaching at a Bible college in Kentucky to becoming a sports writer for the local paper. I've submitted my paperwork to sub at local schools, have two days scheduled next week to sub at the Christian school connected to my parents' church (my church, I suppose, now that I'm living here again), and another potential job that I'm not going into details about here because the family consensus was that one of my readers would think it highly entertaining if they found out in some other fashion. (Yes, it's legal.)

On the grad school front, I found out yesterday that I've been accepted to MSU's MATESOL program for the fall. I'm not making any decisions yet, as I haven't heard from UMBC and won't find out if I have a TA position at MSU until March, but it's great to know! I'm hoping to visit the department next month when I'm down for some Quiz Bowl stuff, so that should be good.

I've recently found Ukrainian-themed scrapbook paper online, so I hope to start working on my Peace Corps scrapbook soon. Maybe that will help organize all the piles of stuff I have around my desk.

On the subject of Ukraine, here's a good article about evangelicalism in Ukraine from Christianity Today.

Also on the subject of Ukraine, I made the mistake of listening to some of my Russian hymns last night and I got really really homesick. I guess it's part of the readjustment process, but it stinks. If I don't listen to my music and watch my DVDs (which I can't do right now because my disk drive won't open), I'll forget my language. But when I do, I just really start to remember how much I loved Ukraine and how much I miss it.

It's really cold these days. At least here, I don't have to walk everywhere like I would in Ukraine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so what's this other potential job? You've got me really intrigued now.

Anonymous said...

hi sally! have you looked into ESL tutoring? i just ask because there is a ESL job i'm considering applying for here.

also, if you're ever in the ann arbor area, you should call me.

Virginia ("Ginn") said...

Being back in the USA is great, but there is a sense of grief for leaving Ukraine and friends-Ukrainian behind. Even after 9 months I get the blues. My advice? Wallow in it for a good ten minutes (set a timer) and then think about the great stuff you saw and did there...cry if you wish. At the end of the alloted time, move on with life. I am struggling with the "back in Ukraine we did..." issue...

My AmeriCorps*VISTA job is giving me a great network and opportunities for future jobs. There are some amazing job descriptions ... it is ike an internship in many ways...Just an option...

"Ginn"
Ukraine 2005-2008
www.pulverages.com

Ben & Heather said...

Congrats on the grad school acceptance. What does MATESOL stand for though?
Oh- by the way- I LOVE that you are doing the quiz bowl thing. Just love it....
=)

Anonymous said...

MSU's MATESOL is very bad about giving the TA positions out in advance. They don't know the number of sections they need until the new semester begins so they leave a lot of people nervous but everyone gets work. Their department is booming and this semester as well as last they even had to beg to bring back people who said they didn't want to teach for those semesters.