Monday, January 7, 2008

First Post!

Welcome, readers! Some of you may know me from my Sal In Ukraine days...some of you may be new readers, and I'm happy to meet all of you. I'm an almost-twenty-five-year-old, former English major from Michigan State University, Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Ukraine), politically a swing voter (I'm quite conservative on some issues and liberal on others, so I end up testing as a moderate, but I'm not sure I am), daughter, friend, girlfriend, and evangelical Christian in the Wesleyan/Holiness tradition with a bit of Baptist and Bible churches thrown in. Oh, and hopeless bookworm. I currently am having trouble accessing Blogger on my home computer, so updates will be sort of irregular and dependent on how much else I need to get done on the library computers when I'm here.

Amusing bits from moving back home to a small town in mid-Michigan:

I called the township clerk the other day to get an absentee ballot, as I'll be out of town on the day of the primaries, due to being a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding down in Texas. He asked for my name and address, and then said, "Who do you belong to?"

"Well, actually, I'm an independent..."

He laughed. "No, I was asking whose daughter you are!"

"Oh, I'm Charlie and Mary's girl."

Nice to be home in so many ways. Also nice that my dress alterations for Melissa's wedding cost me a grand total of $6. When I was in a wedding a couple of years ago and did my alterations down in Lansing, they cost me $40.

No comments: