Saturday, July 5, 2008

the unanswerable question

Yesterday I went to a 4th of July barbeque hosted by a woman from First Wesleyan Church in Ypsilanti, where I've been attending this summer. She had also invited the new pastor and his wife, so since out of all the people I didn't know there, they were the ones I had the most connection to, I sat with them.

Knowing that I'm only here for the summer, Pastor Brent asked, "So where do you normally live?"

I started to laugh, as this is currently an unanswerable question. I don't "normally" live anywhere. Lakeview? Well, that's where I lived right before moving here, but it was only for a few months and not where I'll be for the forseeable future. The Lansing area? That'll be the answer in a couple of months, but I haven't lived there in close to three years. Ukraine? Oddly enough, it almost feels like the right answer, except that as far as I know, I'm not going to be living there again.

So I tried to explain the past few years of my life to Pastor Brent, who then said, "Oh, you're a vagabond."

"Well, sort of..." I replied, "except that I put down roots wherever I live..."

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sally the Vagabond! I like it!