Saturday, July 11, 2009

not an overly eventful week

Random bits from my week, which has been very full of language class and cultural excursions:

~Allie and I saw the President of Austria on Wednesday. He was taking a tour of the main square and we randomly happened to be there. We were surprised at what seemed to us to be a fairly low level of security.
~Natalya, our Ukrainian teacher, went with Vanessa and I to the theatre on Wednesday evening. We saw a play called "The Suede Jacket" which was apparently something of a satire on bureaucratism in post-communist countries. It was a bit hard to follow, but I enjoyed it.
~One of my students in my English class at the Baptist church (which I love teaching) kissed my hand at the end of class on Thursday. As I said to Mom, the student, who is probably a few years younger than me, looks as if his goal in life is to be a poet gone to seed, possibly living in a garret and struggling to pay bills. I was amused.
~Today we went to Shevchenky Hai, which is an open-air folk architecture museum, reminiscent of Greenfield Village (although much smaller). I liked it a lot.

1 comment:

T said...

That kind of makes sense, though. Who in the world is mad at Austria, really? :)

I'm glad you're getting to have so many awesome experiences over there.