Tuesday, March 18, 2008

subbing and shoes

Subbed two days for high school English this week. It was better than science because 1) we watched a movie with a plot (granted, it was Signs, which I was not all that impressed with, but it was at least a plot), and 2) the classes that didn't watch a movie were working in the library, so I could read books. However, I had my first student use profanity while talking to me. Not swearing at me, per se, but using profanity to describe the project she was working on.

Me: Excuse me, but that language isn't necessary.
Student: Well, you don't have to be snotty about it.

I left her teacher a lovely note. Also, I described one student as "goodnaturedly unproductive." He thought that was a good phrase for me to use.

Tonight one of the women from church who's about my age had a bunch of people--family members, friends, and church women--over for a clothes and accessories swap. Unfortunately, most people had brought clothes that weren't my size, but I still did pretty well. I got two summer tops, a pair of earrings, a really pretty cross necklace (blue stones and sterling silver), and three pairs of shoes. The shoes made me pretty thrilled, which amuses me, as I never used to be a shoe person (and I'm still not, for the most part). I have a pair of black clogs, a pair of brown clogs, and a pair of clunky brown leather lace-up shoes that I'm quite pleased with.

No comments: